Wednesday, January 8, 2014

On The Importance of Showering

Talking about showering may seem silly, but if you've ever been a new mom I think you know what I'm talking about. I don't care how the baby came to be with you, showering is important. We all feel better after one.

When we found out we were having our third baby I had some goals for postpartum to make it as easy for everybody as possible. One of my goals was showering everyday. Mainly for two reasons. The first one was I nurse. Milk is messy and everywhere in the first…while. And Frances is a spitter. And really, life is messy.

The other reason is more important I think. With the boys I felt like I couldn't take a break, the baby would need me, or Eric wouldn't be able to manage with out me. People! The world will not fall apart in the 20 minutes I'm in the shower. And yes, I take a 20 minute shower. I make sure that Frances is fed and then I don't feel like I'm mandatory while I shower. Eric can sooth, change a diaper, clothes or fix whatever ails her.

There are some days when I have to talk myself through this, that Eric is capable, I need the alone time, and Frances will live. I also think about what I am modeling to my family. That it's important to take care of myself, and they are a necessary part of the family. They have a role to play. When babies are so little, papas don't always play a large role. This is a way to force some bonding time.

So new papas, new mamas: shower! Help each other get that break! We call them showercations.

What are things you do for self care? Some stay at home parents I know have a standard of getting dressed to their socks so they're ready to go out the door. It is very easy to wear pajamas all the time! I'd love to hear how you care for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment